Orange Cashew Chicken
by lisa | 1 November 2012 19:43
Over the years, I’ve tried a lot of different diets and dutifully collected cookbooks to go with each of them. Some of those old cookbooks still have great recipes that actually fit into a paleo framework. Others need a bit of a makeover. We used to make an orange chicken and broccoli recipe from The Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook that I loved. You can see the original version here. Yup, time for a makeover.
- juice of 3 oranges, reduced
- zest from one orange (zest one of your oranges before you juice it)
- 2 Tbsp gluten free tamari sauce (or coconut aminos…not available in Switzerland)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes or fresh chopped red chili
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of roasted cashew nuts
- 1 spring onion, diced
- Zest one of your oranges and set the zest aside in a small bowl. Now juice your 3 oranges. Simmer the juice on the stovetop until it reduces down and gets thicker (about 15 minutes). Add reduced juice to the bowl with the zest.
- Add your tamari sauce, olive oil, garlic, honey, arrowroot powder and chili to the juice and stir. Set aside.
- Chop your chicken and cook it up in the coconut oil with salt and pepper to taste. Add in your chopped onion and red bell pepper. Takes about 10 minutes to get the chicken mostly done.
- Add your orange sauce to the cooked chicken and bring to a boil. Cook until your sauce is thick and bubbly (5-10 minutes).
Getting bubbly and thick
- Garnish with roasted chopped cashews and diced spring onion.
We used to add broccoli into this (per the old recipe) but we roasted it and added it as a side dish instead.
This would be really good served over cauliflower rice. We would’ve done this….but we didn’t have any cauliflower on hand. Next time!
Orange Cashew Chicken
We shared this recipe at Gluten Free Fridays, Allergy Free Wednesdays
Source URL: https://swisspaleo.ch/orange-cashew-chicken/
Copyright ©2023 Swiss Paleo unless otherwise noted.