Sunday Cook-Up: Prosciutto Wrapped Eggs, Two Ways
by lisa | 7 October 2012 15:40
It’s a lazy, rainy Sunday so I figured I might as well spend the day experimenting in the kitchen. I need to make something that I can grab on my way out the door on work days. I don’t know about you, but I find it really hard to get out of bed in the morning. Interestingly enough, this only happens on days when I have to go to work. Today was Sunday and I was ready to pop out of bed at 4am and get my day started. Guaranteed I’ll be ready to sacrifice eating a good breakfast (and my personal hygiene) for just a few extra minutes of lying in bed once my work week starts. Today we cooked up enough prosciutto wrapped egg cups for me to have my breakfast on the go during the week.
Prosciutto Egg Cups
- prosciutto, one slice per cup
- 11 eggs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4-5 sun dried tomatoes
- a few cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- salt and pepper to taste
What we did…
- Chop up your onions,mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes. We soaked our sun dried tomatoes in water for a few minutes first, but you don’t have to. We buy the ones that are not packed in oil.
- Saute onions, mushrooms and tomatoes in some ghee or coconut oil until your onions are translucent. Throw in your spinach until it is wilted. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat 5 eggs with a fork and then season with salt and pepper. Go easy on the salt because your prosciutto will also add salt.
- Grease your muffin tins really, really well. We also have silicon muffin cups but went with actual muffin tins today so that our prosciutto would crisp up.
- Lay one piece of prosciutto into each cup and mold it around until it fits. You don’t want any holes for the egg to leak through.
- In six of our cups, we spooned in some of our mushroom, onion, tomato and spinach filling. We then poured the beaten eggs into each of those cups until they were full.
- For the remaining six cups, we cracked a whole egg into each and then dropped in half of a cherry tomato. We sprinkled freshly ground pepper and sea salt on these ones.
Ready for the oven
- Variations: you could put just about anything you like in these: cheese if you eat dairy, sausage, smoked salmon, red or green bell pepper, broccoli etc…
- Bake in a preheated 200 C oven for about 15 minutes or until set and starting brown on top. Let them sit for a few minutes after they come out of the oven and then run a knife around the side to remove them from the pan (this is the part where you can tell if you greased your pan well enough!).
You can reheat these in the microwave over the next few days. Now I can sleep in tomorrow!
I shared this post at Allergy-Free Wednesdays and it’s also featured on Chowstalker!
Source URL: https://swisspaleo.ch/sunday-cook-up-prosciutto-wrapped-eggs-two-ways/
Copyright ©2018 Swiss Paleo unless otherwise noted.