Paleo Purple Salad
by lisa | 30 July 2014 09:58
I regularly get together for lunch with my friend, Julie, and we often have some sort of variation on this salad. I love it and could probably eat it every day. It’s really easy to change this salad around by adding in whatever protein you want. You can also use any kind of nuts or seeds and whatever fruit you like.
Here’s how I made it this time (probably my favorite way):
- 1 medium head of purple cabbage, cut into strips (shredded)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 2 ounces (60 grams) feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Prosciutto (cooked into crispy chips)
- Water cress to garnish
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the crispy Prosciutto chips, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay out your pieces of thinly sliced Prosciutto. I used 2 pieces per person. Place in a preheated 350 F (175 C) and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- While that's cooking, slice up your cabbage, apple and onion and toss in a large salad bowl.
- Add on the toasted pecans (toasted in a skillet on the stove top until browned and fragrant) and the crumbled feta (optional if you tolerate dairy otherwise leave it out).
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together with a small whisk (or put them in a jar and shake the bejeezus out of it).
- Pour the dressing (I used about 3/4 of total amount) over the salad and toss to mix well.
- Garnish the salad with the Prosciutto chips and water cress.
Fruit ideas: slices of orange or grapefruit, black berries, blueberries, raspberries, watermelon, nectarine slices
You could also add in salad greens, spinach, kale or rucola
Source URL: https://swisspaleo.ch/paleo-purple-salad/
Copyright ©2020 Swiss Paleo unless otherwise noted.