Chicken, Fig and Prosciutto Rolls
by lisa | 23 March 2013 11:25
I don’t think I had ever eaten a fig until I went to a dinner party at my friend Julie’s house. She served fresh figs stuffed with mozzarella cheese, wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. I’ve since eaten that little dish over and over again. I’ve actually developed a bit of an obsession with figs. I discovered dry figs and regularly stuff my face with them. I crave them more than chocolate. I used them to make this yummy dessert and even made some fig jam.
Better than chocolate
So, this recipe is based on my love for that little dinner party appetizer and my love of figs. Besides, I had to come up with some recipes to use up the fig jam I made!
- 1-2 chicken breasts per person
- 1-2 teaspoons of fig jam per chicken breast
- 1 slice of prosciutto per chicken breast
- 1 slice of mozzarella cheese per chicken breast if you tolerate/enjoy dairy
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons of oil of choice (coconut, ghee, etc…)
- optional: balsamic vinegar
- kitchen string
What to do
- Pound your chicken breasts between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap until they are about 1/4 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.
Pound it flat
- Spread 1-2 teaspoons of fig jam over your flat chicken breasts.
- Lay a piece of prosciutto over the top of the jam layer.
- Top the prosciutto with a slice of mozzarella (or cheese of your choice) if you want to include dairy.
Ready to roll
- Now roll your chicken jelly-roll style and secure with kitchen string.
- Brown your little rolls in a frying pan over high heat with the oil of your choice (I used ghee).
Brown on all sides
- Put your browned chicken rolls into a 220 C oven (425 F) for an additional 15-20 minutes. I cook with cast iron pans so I just put my pan right in the oven. You could also transfer your chicken rolls to an oven proof dish.
I love my cast iron pans that can go right into the oven
- Optional: drizzle with balsamic vinegar before serving.
Being the fig freak that I am, I loved this chicken. We served it with roast asparagus and a salad.
My dinner plate
Source URL: https://swisspaleo.ch/chicken-fig-and-prosciutto-rolls/
Copyright ©2023 Swiss Paleo unless otherwise noted.