by lisa | 7 January 2013 15:24
We went on a trip to Greece in October and ate some fabulous eggplant while we were there. We said, at the time, that we would really have to remember it so that we could try to re-create it when we got home. Well, we finally got around to it and it’s just as amazing as we remembered. It’s so good, in fact, that we’ve eaten it twice in the last week.
Not only is eggplant creamy, melt-in-your-mouth delicious; it’s also full of stuff that’s good for you. It is a good source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of dietary fiber.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 eggplants
- olive oil
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- feta cheese (optional-we did two with, two without)
- 1-2 Tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
What to do
- Peel your whole eggplants with a vegetable peeler. Leave the cute little tops on.
- Cut your eggplants in half length wise after peeling and lay them cut side down on some paper towels. Sprinkle them with salt and let sit for about 20 minutes. Sprinkling pieces of eggplant with salt draws any bitter juices to the surface in beads of moisture. Then they can simply be blotted away with a paper towel.
Peeled and salted
- After 20 minutes, blot them dry and rub all over with olive oil.
- Place your oiled eggplants cut side down on a baking sheet and place in a pre-heated 180 C /350 F oven for 30 minutes.
- Chop your sun dried tomatoes and garlic while the eggplant is in the oven.
Sun-dried tomatoes and garlic
- After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and flip them over with a spatula.
- Now mash them down a bit with a fork.
- Sprinkle your eggplants with the tomatoes, garlic, cheese and pine nuts and drizzle with olive oil.
Ready to go back in the oven
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
Source URL: https://swisspaleo.ch/amazing-eggplant/
Copyright ©2019 Swiss Paleo unless otherwise noted.