Chocolate Chili Chicken with Lime Butter
I wasn’t sure what to call this recipe. It was SO, SO good, that I wanted to call it “Damn Fine Chicken”, but Nom Nom Paleo already has a recipe called that.
I know this sounds like a strange combination of spices to some of you, but you just have to trust me that the results are out of this world delicious. We have added cocoa powder to savory dishes like chili before, and I like the subtle flavor it adds. However, I usually don’t like savory dishes that have cinnamon in them. I love cinnamon, but I like it in my sweet desserts, not in my dinner. This dish didn’t taste like cinnamon at all to me. The lime butter part takes a great tasting chicken and somehow makes it even better.
Have I gushed enough about how delicious this was? I will be making this recipe over and over again.
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (leave out if you’re doing a Whole30)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 chicken breasts
What to do
- Put everything in a zip lock bag and smoosh it all round.
- Add in your chicken breasts and smoosh around some more until all of the chicken is coated with the marinade.
Marinate for a few hours
- Marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
- Remove your chicken from the bag and lay it out on a foil lined baking sheet.
Ready for the oven
- Bake your chicken in a 220 C (425 F) oven for about 20 minutes.
Lime Butter Ingredients
- 1/4 cup of ghee
- 1/2 shallot (or white onion), finely chopped
- 1 small red Thai chili, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 fresh lime
Melt your ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the shallots and red chili pepper and cook until the shallot is translucent. Add in the lime juice. Drizzle this over your chicken.
More than “Damn Fine”
Print this post...