Carrot Cake Muffins with “Cream Cheese” Frosting
It’s my husband’s birthday and his favorite kind of cake is carrot cake. I dutifully make him a carrot cake every year just like he makes me cherry pie for my birthday. I decided to make the cake into muffins since there are only two of us at home and there is no way we need to eat an entire cake. With muffins, I can take a few over to a friend after my husband has had his fill. We make almond flour muffins fairly regularly, but these really are different than muffins. Our muffins usually contain about 1 teaspoon of honey for the entire batch with no other sweetener. These muffins have a whole cup of dates and three bananas, making them truly sweet just like a cake. Hmmm…maybe they are actually cupcakes.
Yes, more like cupcakes…
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup of pitted medjool dates
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- optional: you could also add raisins, chopped pineapple, nutmeg, ginger
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 175 C
- Combine almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Put your dates, bananas, eggs, vinegar and oil together in a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Pour your wet ingredients from the food processor into your dry ingredients and mix well.
Mix wet into dry
- Now stir in the grated carrots and walnuts.
The ‘healthy’ part
- Spoon your batter into paper lined muffin tins or use silicon baking cups.
- I filled my muffin cups right to the top for extra big muffins. I ended up with 11.
Ready for the oven
- Bake at 350 F/ 175 C for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool before frosting. They are delicious without frosting, too.
I wrote up a separate post with the recipe for the dairy free cream cheese frosting which you can have a look at here. Yes, these cupcake/muffins are wonderful. But the frosting? OMG!!! And I never say OMG.
Mr. Swiss Paleo’s birthday cupcakes
Print this post...